Frequently Asked Questions
- What is patch testing?
- Patch testing is a simple way to test your skin's reaction to new products. It involves taking a small amount of the new product and applying it to a small section of skin. When trying any new product for the first time it is best to perform a "patch test."
- How to patch test?
- Select a small section of skin to test. Examples of sites include the side of the neck, abdomen, or inner arm. Do not do a patch test on the hands as the product will be washed off too quickly.
- Wash selected site and apply a small amount of the new product. A pea-sized amount will be adequate.
- Wait for 24 hours and see how the area reacts. Do not wash the area unless a reaction occurs.
- What am I looking for?
- Allergic reactions and minor reactions. Ensure that skin does not become itchy, red, painful, or swollen. If a reaction does occur immediately wash product off with soap and cool water. Do not use product and give it to someone else or discard. This could be a reaction as a result of a specific essential oil, herb, plant, or ingredient.
- Normal reaction: skin does not become red, itchy, swollen, or painful and has no reaction. This means the product is safe to use!
- Are reactions common?
- Reactions are not common unless you have a known allergy to a specific ingredient or essential oil. Please read all ingredients before buying a product.
Everybody's skin is different, so it is important to find products that work for your skin type.
- Are the products safe for sensitive skin?
- All products are created with sensitive skin in mind. The highest quality organic ingredients are used to ensure there is not cross contamination or pesticide/herbicide residue.
- If you have sensitive skin there are two body butter lines to choose from as well as scented and unscented versions.
- All scents are derived from essential oils and herbs.
- No preservatives, fillers, or dyes.
- I have oily or acne prone skin, what products should I use?
- Any of the products may work for oily or acne prone skin. Test multiple products to see which works best for you.
- The body butter line with arrowroot powder may work better for those with oily or acne prone skin.
- I have eczema, psoriasis, or another skin condition. Can I use these products?
- Yes! Test the body butter lines and lotion bars to see what works best for your skin.
- What is the difference between unrefined and refined?
- Refined products have been processed, deodorized, and purified. Unrefined products are raw, often cold-processed, and will not be deodorized.
- Does Sparrow & Root's products contain refined or unrefined ingredients?
- All ingredients are unrefined so that each product contains all the beneficial properties of the ingredients.
- The consistency of each product may vary slightly due to the ingredients being unrefined.
- Each ingredient will retain it's original scent. For example cocoa butter will have a "chocolate" smell. Shea butter will have more of a "nutty" or "earthy" smell.
- Why isn't shipping free?
- As a small business it is difficult to offer free shipping, especially with shipping prices rising. At times there may be a free shipping option if the customer spends over a certain amount. We value each purchase and do our best to provide the lowest rate possible. By using Shopify for our website we are able to get reduced shipping prices.
- What does shipping cost?
- Shipping cost is calculated at the checkout by the carrier and speed selected by the customer.
- What are the shipping and return policies?
- Refer to the bottom of the page for policies. We are unable to take returns. If there is a problem with shipping contact the carrier directly. If there is a problem with a product, please contact us.
- What growing practices are used?
- We strive to use regenerative agriculture methods by improving the land and not just "doing no harm." We are constantly learning and improving our methods.
- No-till, perennial plant integration, bio-diversity
- Compost from ducks, chickens, food scraps, leaves
- Mulch to protect soil and to avoid leaving soil bare
- All plants and herbs are grown with organic seed and soil
- No herbicides, pesticides, or chemical fertilizer
Below are more resources regarding regenerative agriculture: